.

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Paksiw na Pata (Stewed Pork Knuckle)


It's been almost a week since I my last post because it's been such a tiring week with my 6 month old who doesn't sleep well at night. Anyway, the other week I made paksiw na pata.


Paksiw na pata is another dish that I often had with my family in Manila and so again I wanted to recreate that here. Since pork knuckle mostly has pork skin and fat I opted for the leaner meat part and that is pork shoulder. I followed the same procedure and ingredients in cooking paksiw na pata and it tasted great. Like all other Filipino dishes, paksiw na pata also has vinegar and soy sauce as its base.


Ingredients:
1 lb. pork shoulder
4 cups water
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup vinegar
1/3 cup brown sugar
3 bay leaves
5 cloves garlic
1/2 cup dried banana heart
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Directions:
1) Place pork in a pot with water and bring to a boil.
2) Add vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, bay leaves and garlic. Reduce heat and let simmer for 45 minutes or until pork is tender and sauce has thickened.
3) Add the banana heart and let simmer for another 30 minutes.
4) Season with salt and pepper and serve. Enjoy with steamed rice!

No comments:

Post a Comment