.

Monday, March 16, 2009

Adobong Kangkong


This is one of my favorite vegetable dish. Even as a small kid, I loved adobong kangkong. Kangkong or River Spinach is a vegetable that I haven't really seen in groceries around here. I've seen some in the Filipino store in Layton, Utah but not here where I live now. The closest Filipino store here in Post Falls is about 45 minutes away so I'd rather substitute than drive that far. Since I found out that kangkong and spinach are in the same family I thought of substituting spinach for adobong kangkong and I couldn't even tell the difference in with their taste.


Ingredients:
1 cup pork, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 pound spinach leaves
1 medium onion
1 tablespoon garlic
1/2 cup vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon oil

Directions:
1) Saute onion and garlic in oil until tender.
2) Add pork and let it saute for about 3 minutes.
3) Add the soy sauce and vinegar and let simmer until pork is cooked.
4) Finally, add spinach leaves and let cook until the leaves have wilted a little. Serve and enjoy with white rice!

2 comments:

  1. What I miss more is the crunch of kangkong in adobo. So I tried substituting asparagus and was able to come up with a way to mimic the crunch. The taste is almost the same as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for that suggestion. try ko nga yan! hmm.. some french green beans might work also instead of asparagus.

    ReplyDelete