.

Monday, March 30, 2009

Baked Macaroni and Cheese with ham


It's the classic American comfort food. When I first came to the US, I wasn't a fan of American food but after being here for a while I have started loving the new taste and food textures. Anyhow, here is one recipe that I learned and kept on making because it's very simple, delicious, and my husband loves it.

Ingredients:
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
1 cup whipping cream
1 cup milk (I use fat free milk)
1/2 teaspoon salt
fresh ground black pepper
2 cups cheddar cheese
8 ounce package elbow macaroni, cooked
2 pieces of cooked steak ham; cut into cubes (whichever kind you like)
1/2 cup italian seasoned bread crumbs
Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 400 F.
2) Mix flour, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
3) Melt butter in a large saucepan.
4) Add flour mixture into pan with melted butter and whisk together.
5) Pour milk and cream gradually and constatnly stir.
6) Let mixture boil. After it boils, reduce to low and let cook for another 10 minutes.
7) Add cheddar cheese little by little and let simmer until cheese melts
8) Add ham and let warm for at least a minute.
9) Turn off flame and add the elbow macaroni into the sauce.
10) Transfer macaroni into a baking dish. See to it that dish has non-stick cooking spray for easy clean up.
11) Top with bread crumbs and bake for 20 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Can I use processed cooked ham? I really like the Hereford brand compared to other brand of ham. Di ko lang sure kung pwedeng gamitin ung cooked ham kasi masyadong malambot baka ma melt kasama ng mga cheese. I ordered it at goods.ph mag two months na sya sa aparador namin. Kung hindi naman pwedeng gamitin ung cooked ham, ano kayang pwedeng ipalit? thanks sis!

    ReplyDelete